Friday, July 16, 2010

A Very New Beginning

As most of you who are reading this post know, I will be moving to Madagascar for 27 months to serve as an education volunteer in the Peace Corps!! My nerves have been on edge for the last month and a half as I have experienced a roller coaster of emotions usually ranging from serious anxiety and nervousness to occasional stints of fleeting excitement. Despite this, however, I have envisioned myself in the Peace Corps for the past several years. Even before I was actually old enough to even consider the application process. I would play those online personality games which told (supposedly) how good of a match I was to a "typical" Peace Corps experience. I find this hilarious now, considering the fact that I have been reminded over and over that there is no such thing as a "typical" Peace Corps anything. Everyone's experiences are different, apparently.

So, I apply last September and pray (literally) for an education assignment in Latin America, anywhere in Latin America. After all, I was a Spanish minor in college and have pretty good Spanish language skills. Despite this, I was promptly assigned to West Africa. Ok, I can deal. My interviewer said that since I had learned one language, I could learn another. True, very true. So, I enroll into French 101 my final semester of college and break out my little sisters Rosetta Stone, French Edition and start studying. However, after I had convinced myself of the amazingness of being in West Africa for 2 yrs, I get my invitation kit and it said Madagascar. It was not exactly Latin America or West Africa; but, once again, I can deal.

This brings me to today. I am a bit slow with all the websites and internet stuff. When I started college ( this was back when only college students had Facebook), my roommate ( Robyn!!) threatened to set up my Facebook account for me if I did not do it myself by the Spelhouse homecoming that October. I must have been the only person without one on campus. Anyway, so I leave for staging in Washington DC in 2 days and I am just beginning my Peace Corps blogs. This blog is meant for me to relay to my family and friends back home what is going on in my life in Madagascar. I want to share my experiences with all of you closest to me and even those who may potentially be considering the Peace Corps for the future. I hope this blog helps all of you to feel closer to me and me to you as well. As of right now, I am super excited to begin my Peace Corps service and to meet the other 40 or so people in my training group.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erica,

    It was so good to hear your voice yesterday. I am so happy that you are doing well, and that you sound so happy! Sounds like your host family is all that I had hoped and prayed for you. I am also thankful that your adjustment period is going well. Stay warm, hopefully the raining and wintery season will subside soon.

    much love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erica-

    This is AMAZING, I am SO proud of you. Please keep writing in your blog, as a am enjoying reading all about your amazing new life and the great journey that you are taking. When you get settled and comfortable in your home, please send me your address and I will mail you letters and care packages and stuff. I think that Madagascar is going to change you in ways you and I can't fathom at this time. Be safe, be kind, and believe my dear sister. The world is yours.

    Peace and Blessings,

    Tayler

    ReplyDelete